Thursday, November 13, 2008

Affinity #6


...Once I had revealed to Edwin that I was going to be his biographer, once he had allowed the idea to take hold and sink in, he became fascinated by my project, indeed obsessed by it, and proved at times almost aggressively helpful in providing me with information -- information which, I am grieved to say, was often at variance with my own precise and infallible memories.


- Steven Millhauser
Edwin Mullhouse: The Life and Death of an
American Writer, 1943 - 1954
by Jeffrey Cartwright

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An impressive photo and quote, but I'm confused: who is the biographer, Steven Millhauser or Jefferey Cartwright?

bill r. said...

It's a work of fiction, and the full title includes the
"by Jeffrey Cartwright" credit. I suppose I could have just listed it as Edwin Mullhouse, which is the better known, abbreviated title, but I like the full one.

It's a great, great novel, one of the best I've ever read. Really, it's magnificent, and I say that with full confidence that I'm not overselling it. I recommend it to every living soul.

Followers