Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Affinity #11


I was staying at the Marriott
With Jesus and John Wayne
I was waiting for a chariot
They were waiting for a train
The sky was full of carrion
"I'll take the mazuma"
Said Jesus to Marion
"That's the 3:10 to Yuma"
My ride's here
My ride's here

-Warren Zevon
"My Ride's Here"

It's going to be quiet around here for the next few days. The last couple of days weren't great, and so will be the case with the next couple, but things should be back on track next week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great song-writer he was. I know we've discussed this somewhere -- maybe on your blog, or maybe on Greg's -- but I miss him terribly. Self-destruction is a bitch, ain't it?

bill r. said...

It is, Rick, except that Zevon died of mesothelioma, which is a type of lung cancer caused by prolonged exposure to asbestos. So while Zevon was certainly self-destructive, that's not what got him.

And I miss him, too. I was listening to a bunch of his stuff yesterday, and the first verse from "My Ride's Here" really just lodged in my head. That whole song is great, but that first verse really clicks with me.

Anonymous said...

Was it mesothelioma? I thought it was lung cancer from the smoking ... shows how much my little mind retains ...

Anyway, great post.

bill r. said...

Yeah, it was meso. I remember, because at the time, I was working for a law firm whose client base was largely elderly ex-railroad employees, and meso cases were a big deal. Also, one of the attorneys was a Zevon fan, and we talked about it. That's what Steve McQueen had, also.

Anyway, great post.

Thanks. I really busted my ass for this one!

Greg said...

Here's my life as of late:

"Send lawyers, guns and money. The shit has hit the fan."

It's like Zevon was writing about me. A genius that guy was.

bill r. said...

You need a gun? Do you know something I don't? Something about a zombie apocalypse??

Greg said...

Well, okay, the gun I can do without.

Followers