Friday, March 13, 2009

A Quick One While I'm Away

In a few hours I'm going to be jetting up to Northern VA to see the family, because we have a new addition to the ever-expanding crew (welcome, little Melanie!) so I want to get a quick, not-much-of-anything post in before that happens.

All's I really got to say is, don't forget Rick's sure-to-be-enlightening post for this month's The Oldest Established Really Important Film Club pick, Boudu Saved from Drowning this coming Monday, March 16! You'll be able to find it, as if I need to even tell you, at Rick's own Coosa Creek Cinema, so be there, or go suck an egg. I actually haven't watched the film yet, but I'm bringing it with me on my trip, just in case I find myself in the vicinity of an open TV and DVD player with a spare hour-and-a-half. Otherwise, I'll have to squeeze it in on Sunday when I get home. But watch it I indeed shall.

Also, after bailing on Brian Keene's insipid zombie novel, The Rising, my scramble to find something else to read has landed me on Jim Thompson's The Grifters. It's been ages since I've read any Thompson, and so far this book is just terrific. God bless the Jim Thompsons of the world -- there haven't been enough of you guys. A lot of pretenders, but very few of the real thing.

So have a great weekend, everybody, and remember, as Thompson says, via Lilly Dillon in The Grifters: "They can kill you, but they can't eat you."

4 comments:

Greg said...

a quick, not-much-of-anything post

Hey, that's what I did today too. I call them Spread of Activation so it sounds cooler than what it is: reaching for straws.

Anonymous said...

Spread of activation sounds much better than "shit I came up with." Although I gotta say that yours Jonathan and Bill's are usually pretty entertaining.

M said...

Congratulations on the little one! :)

bill r. said...

Thanks, Mariana! She's a cutie, all right.

Followers